Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sick and in love...



Today I woke up sicker than when I fell asleep last night.  Majorly sore throat, a headache I could not kick all day, and a way great runny nose!  It is not the worst of all sicknesses, but it is a pain.  My family was all gone and I had the house to myself until 930 tonight.  Not that I do not love my family, but it made me wish I had my own place.  I drank oolong tea all day, watched Gilmore Girls, ate tapioca pudding, and sat on my couch and scrap booked.  It was an amazing day.  As my night came to a close I put in Roman Holiday.  It was a perfect choice.  I felt for Audrey, aka Princess Ann.  She just up and took a day out of her busy life and did everything that she wanted to do, with no regard for the responsibilities she had.  That is how I felt today.  There are plenty of things on my ever growing to do list.  Yet today, I did not even look at it.  I relaxed and did the few simple things in life that I feel refresh me.  God and I talked.  He is so good.  We just sat together and we enjoyed our time alone.  And when I put in Roman Holiday I knew he was watching it with me.  Call me crazy okay.  But I am so convinced that God enjoys doing things that we want to do and enjoy.  Kind of like Jonathon does for me sometimes.  Over a year ago Jonathon and I ordered take out Chinese food and he watched Roman Holiday with me.  Now initially this was obviously just because he wanted to do something that would make me happy, not because he wanted to watch the movie.  But as the movie came to a close it was obvious that he was thoroughly enjoying the movie.  And as it ended... he went into a fury at the ending :)  We have just grown to enjoy doing things together that are not always initially enjoyable to both of us.  But I do not think that is something God has had to grow into doing.  From the very beginning of my life I know that God has spent time doing things I enjoy.  I know He laughed with my dad and I as we dove into the waves in Lake Michigan during a downfall.  I know He cheered me on at my soccer games and winced as I twisted my ankle or tore my quad.  He is just that great and that personal with me.  

This past week as I feel like I have suffered through a little bit of depression again I do not feel super distant from God as many might imagine.  It is quite the contrary.  I have felt him comfort me and just spend time with me when my top priority has not been spending time with him.  I have felt him pursue me when I have not been pursuing him.  Most importantly though, I have felt him fight for me when I have been too weak to fight.  I am a firm believer that there is constant spiritual warfare and Satan is always sending his demons to attack us and try to take us away from God.  As much as I have felt them attacking me with feelings of depression I feel God fighting them off for me.  It kind of reminds me of the last scene of the Everything Skit... I am so in love with my Savior.  

2 comments:

Holly Kristina said...

Emily, You are such an encouragement to me! I love you!

ktmoo16 said...

Emily dear, i am just loving reading your bloggies..i misss you soo much toooo!!!!!